Friday, March 7, 2014

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

I got this recipe courtesy of allrecipes.com.  Made this for thanksgiving and was so glad that everyone ate all the unhealthy stuff and left most of this for me.  I think I ate most of the bowl. Ha Ha! It was so good!

Ingredients:
2 cups no salt added chicken broth
1 clove garlic smashed
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 large chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1 large red onion diced
1 large green bell pepper diced
1/2 cup kalamata olives (I don't love those so I use regular olives)
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

Directions
1. Bring chicken broth, pinch of sea salt, and garlic to boil in saucepan.  Stir in the quinoa and reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and simer until the quinoa is tender and the water has been absorbed, 15-20 minutes. scrape the quinoa into a large bowl.
2. Gently stir in the chicken, onion, bell pepper, olives, cheese, parsley, chives, and salt into the quinoa.  Drizzle with the lemon juice, baslamic vinegar and olive oil.  Stir until evenly mixed.  serve war, or refrigerate and serve cold.

Kristen's Notes:  I usually leave out the chicken when I want to make this a vegetarian dish.  I only eat meat maybe once or twice a week so I rarely add the chicken.  But it is a nice option to have if you are wanting some animal protein.  I also add a pinch of sea salt to the chicken broth since it is no sodium added to give it a little more flavor.  I usually get no sodium added chicken broth because the refined salt is so damaging to our cells. I add the unrefined healthy sea salt myself so I can control my sodium intake but still have the flavor enhancement of salt.


No comments:

Post a Comment